The string of pearls (Senecio rowleyanus) is a popular and unique-looking houseplant known for its small, round, bead-like leaves and trailing vines. It is a low-maintenance plant that does well in a variety of indoor environments, particularly those with bright, indirect light, and it is drought-tolerant, so it can go for long periods without water and still thrive. The string of pearls plant prefers well-draining soil, average room temperatures between 60-75°F (16-24°C), and high humidity levels. With the right care, it can thrive and add a touch of greenery and interest to your home for years to come, and it is also known to be an effective air purifier.
- Light: The string of pearls plant prefers bright, indirect light, but it can tolerate low light levels. Avoid placing it in direct sunlight, as this can cause the leaves to yellow or wilt.
- Water: The string of pearls plant is drought-tolerant and can go for long periods without water. Water the plant when the top inch or two of soil feels dry to the touch, and be sure to empty any excess water from the drainage tray to prevent root rot.
- Soil: Use a well-draining soil mix that is rich in organic matter. A potting soil mix formulated for indoor plants or a mix of equal parts peat moss, perlite, and potting soil will work well.
- Fertilizer: The string of pearls plant benefits from regular fertilization during the growing season. Use a balanced liquid fertilizer at half strength every two to four weeks.
- Temperature: The string of pearls plant prefers average room temperatures between 60-75°F (16-24°C). Avoid exposing it to temperatures below 50°F (10°C).
- Humidity: The string of pearls plant prefers high humidity levels, so it is a good idea to mist it regularly or place it on a humidity tray.
- Pruning: The string of pearls plant does not require much pruning, but you can remove any yellowing or damaged leaves as needed. Use clean scissors to cut the leaves back to a healthy growth point.
By following these care tips, you can help your string of pearls plant thrive and add a touch of greenery and interest to your home.